Kelowna, British Columbia
Last Day to Apply: April 30, 2019
Employment Type: Part Time - Hourly
Banquet Server Job Description:
POSITION: Banquet Server
REPORTS TO: Meetings & Events Manager
POSITION SUMMARY: As a Banquet Server you help serve and execute the catered events. This includes the set-up, execution and tear down of all events. You will stay in contact with the host (on-site contact) throughout the event to ensure the highest guest satisfaction possible. All duties are to be performed in accordance with British Columbia laws and regulations, policies, practices and procedures.
SOME OF A BANQUET SERVER’S DUTIES INCLUDE: but not limited to
- Welcoming our banquet/conference guests as they enter the hotel/conference space by making eye contact and verbally acknowledging them. Help directing them to the appropriate banquet space if required. Greet the host (on-site contact) and stay in contact throughout the event.
- Preparing for your shift starts with reviewing the BEO (Banquet Event Order) to ensure that you are familiar with all details of the event. Ensuring that signage (directional signs and TV screens) are correct and displaying the proper information. Leaving yourself enough time to set up any last minute details, brew coffee and get iced water out on the tables.
- Examine the cleanliness of the venue and washrooms prior to the function. Keeping the catering serveries maintained in a clean and orderly fashion. Keeping serveries stocked, ensure all equipment is in good working order. Report any deficiencies immediately to your supervisor.
- Serving/Monitoring the meeting rooms, clearing on breaks and refreshing items as needed. Promotes and maintains the highest level of customer service to all guests.
- Works closely with the Meetings and Events Manager to help facilitate the events.
- Knows the menu for each function served and is able to explain the key ingredients and the preparation methods for each item served.
- Monitors the activities of guests and responds to any questions, complaints or comments that may arise. Being able to come up with a solution quickly is a needed skill. Enlisting the assistance of the Events Manager to assist in resolving all issues prior to the guest’s departure.
- Ensure that room is set up correctly, the food is presented well and that the service goes off without a hitch. During the event you will need to interact with the host and respond to any special requests or last-minute adjustments.
Banquet servers have a great deal of impact on the guest experience as they are in constant contact with our guests and are extremely influential to the overall conference experience. Stamina is required as banquet servers spend a lot of their time on their feet, and are frequently required to respond quickly in fast paced and busy environments.
- Can include long periods of standing and interacting with the guest.
- Shifts can vary from morning breakfast meetings to evening receptions and late night weddings. Banquet shifts can be required any day of the week or weekend.
- Periods of working alone are sometimes required.
- Continuous physical movement during work hours, physical strength required to move and set up tables and chairs.
- Previous experience in a hotel banquet/catering position is an asset
- Desire to work as a team player and establish a connection with guests
- Proficient in English
- Attention to detail and pride in a quality job done well
- Excellent listening and comprehension skills required
- Food Safe & Serving It Right are required
Hourly wage plus banquet gratuities.